What is GMAT?
The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) exam is a standardized exam that is specifically designed to secure admission in a graduate business and management program. This exam sets the standard to predict a student’s academic performance and is regarded as the most trustworthy entrance exam. This guide provides you with a list of GMAT Book Recommendations that will help you ace GMAT.
The GMAT exam has 4 sections, which are
- Analytical Writing Assessment
- Analytical Writing Assessment section aims at measuring your critical thinking ability and how well you communicate your ideas
- Maximum allotted time: 30 minutes
- Number of questions: 1
- Scoring range : 0-6
- Integrated reasoning
- Integrated Reasoning section measures your ability to analyze data and evaluate information presented in multiple formats.
- Maximum allotted time: 30 minutes
- Number of questions: 12
- Scoring range: 1-8
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Quantitative Reasoning section is designed to measure your ability to analyze data and draw conclusions using reasoning skills
- Maximum allotted time: 62 minutes
- Number of questions: 31
- Scoring range: 6-51
- Verbal Reasoning
- Verbal Reasoning measures your ability to read and understand written material, to evaluate arguments, and to correct written material to conform to standard written English.
- Maximum allotted time: 65 minutes
- Number of questions: 36
- Scoring Range: 6-51
On average, the test takes approximately 3.5 hours to complete, including 2 optional breaks in between.
Students are given an option to choose the sequence of appearing for each section at the start of the test.
The GMAT exam is a computer adaptive test where the difficulty of the test tailors itself in real-time to the user’s ability level. This feature allows the exam in assessing the student’s potential with a greater degree of precision.
GMAT scores are in the range of 200-800. The individual scores are equally important as the total scores. Here is how the individual section scores are calculated:
- Analytical Writing Assessment
- Essays are scored using professional essay raters and a machine algorithm
- The scoring interval is 0-6 where 6 is considered outstanding, 5 is strong, 4 is adequate, 3 is limited, 2 is seriously flawed, and a 1 is considered fundamentally
Factors affecting the score:
- The overall quality of ideas about the issue and argument presented
- Your overall ability to organize, develop, and express those ideas
- The relevant supporting reasons and examples used
- Your ability to control the elements of standard written English (grammar and syntax), with a bit more leeway given to international ESL students
- Integrated Reasoning
- The score is based on the number of questions answered correctly.
- Ranges from 1-8 in the intervals of 1
- Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning
- The score ranges from 6-51
- This section is an adaptive section where the next question depends on if the user answered the previous question correctly.
Factors affecting the score
- Number of questions you answer
- Whether the answers are correct
- Difficulty and other parameters of the questions that are answered
Top 7 GMAT Book Recommendations
Given below is a list of GMAT Book Recommendations. Check these GMAT Book Recommendations, evaluate your GMAT goals, and inspect if the GMAT book is the right source for your preparation.
1. GMAT Official Guide 2021
The Official Guide is a must-have study guide for GMAT consisting of Verbal, Quantitative, and Integrated Reasoning questions. It contains 950 practice questions of all the sections and explanations to the answers. It also includes a list of essay topics.
With this guide, you obtain access to online study materials that include similar practice questions and explanations to the answers, Flashcards, and an additional 150 questions.
It also consists of a mobile app that provides you with access to the online tests, which helps immensely in GMAT preparation.
This online question bank allows you to take practice tests and gives exclusive access to previous test-takers videos sharing their experience and GMAC staff who share insights and GMAT preparation tips.
This book includes mostly easy and medium questions.
Price: USD 48
2. Manhattan Prep GMAT Strategy Guide
Manhattan Prep GMAT Strategy Guide is a set of eight strategy guides that primarily focus on the individual sections of the GMAT Exam. One can either buy the entire set individually.
Apart from the books, the guide also gives you one year of access to practice tests and other web materials.
These books are a great source to strengthen your skills and to perform exemplary. This is an excellent book if you are seeking a solid foundation of concepts.
Price: USD 359
You may also Like: Best Books on Artificial Intelligence
3. Kaplan GMAT Complete
Kaplan GMAT Complete provides an authentic GMAT preparation and is highly rated by test-takers. It includes questions for practice on all concepts and question types. It consists of detailed explanations for all the answers.
Kaplan faculty offers support via Facebook where students can reach out to the faculty and get assistance.
This book includes six practice tests and 500+ online quiz banks.
This is a perfect book to customize one’s practice and choose the right problems to work on depending on the level of difficulty and the topic.
Price: USD 65
4. PowerScore Verbal Trilogy Bible
This book is a great source to ace the Verbal Reasoning section. It consists of three GMAT Verbal books – Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, and Sentence Correction.
This book only consists of concept files and detailed explanations but does not consider any practice questions. This book focuses on learning the solid concepts of the verbal section.
You can purchase these books individually also but buying the entire set is recommended.
Price: USD 70
5. Veritas Prep Complete GMAT Course
This set of books consists of twelve dedicated guides and an in-depth overview of GMAT subjects.
This book majorly consists of unique and challenging questions which makes it a perfect source for those aiming at very high scores. It covers each GMAT topic in detail.
One disadvantage of this book is that it lacks an answer key and leaves the students confused on how to solve the problem. This book also has a mixed review.
Price: USD 250
6. Princeton Review’s GMAT Premium Prep
This preparation guide is suggested for students who are already well versed with the fundamental concepts and are seeking perfection. This guide majorly consists of practice problems running from medium to very difficult levels.
There are a total of 6 practice tests and individual questions on math, reasoning, writing, and verbal ability which ensures thoroughness in the preparation and It also consists of video tutorials by GMAT experts.
7. Mometrix GMAT Preparation Book
This book is essentially for students who are starting their preparation for GMAT. It immensely helps students in understanding the concepts, strengthening their vocabulary and building up their logical reasoning skills.
This guide provides access to complete GMAT tests along with explanations for all the questions. Similar to Princeton’s GMAT preparation guide, this also consists of online videos by experts who explain each section of the GMAT test thoroughly.
Conclusion: GMAT Book Recommendations
GMAT requires extensive preparation to successfully secure admission from Top B-Schools. Apart from all the mentioned GMAT Book Recommendations, it is suggested to attend live classes that will allow regular interaction with the instructors. Attending live classes will enhance your GMAT preparation efforts.
- What are the Best GMAT books to study from?
For Self-Study these are the best books
1) Official Guides
2) Manhattan Verbal Guide
3) Veritas Prep
- How do I prepare for GMAT?
Select one of the above mentioned guides, start solving questions section-wise and find your weak points. Use other online resources to focus on these weak points.