Cybersecurity is one of the best domains to pursue a career in if you are an Engineering student who has an interest towards IT, Cyber-crime or Computer Science and related fields.
Cybersecurity refers to protecting computer systems, digital gadgets, and networks from unauthorized third-party access who might use the data for illegal purposes.
Today, we are living in a digital era. If you observe, you’ll see people of varied age groups embrace technology and its applications.
Not only individuals at a personal level, even big corporates, Governmental organizations, Defence, Educational Institutions, and every other sector you can think of is harnessing the advantages offered by the technology.
Every day there is a new technology with advanced features that are launched in the market.
Therefore, it becomes crucial for us to ensure that our data stored in digital records and networks do not become a victim of cybercrime.
One solution to do this has a top-notch cybersecurity system. Therefore, the demand for cybersecurity experts is high worldwide.
According to a report by The New York Times, the demand for the cybersecurity profession will surge and result in 3.5 million unfilled positions in 2021.
What are the prerequisites for a Cybersecurity internship?
Firstly, internships are an excellent opportunity to get industry exposure, gain new skills, and get a piece of in-depth knowledge about the domain.
Internships for cyber-security are no different.
If you are planning to pursue a career in this field. Then keep in mind that you will have an upper edge over your peers if you have the prerequisites for a cybersecurity internship.
Here are some of the skills that you should have a basic knowledge about:
- First and foremost, you must have a keen interest in the field of IT.
- With the rise in technological trends every day. You should have strong analytical skills and a high capability of paying attention to details to monitor data trends.
- You must have a clear understanding of data protection and Cyber laws.
- It will be an added advantage if you are less reliant on tools and automation for most of the tasks.
- It would be best to have clarity on social engineering, network security, firewalls, web applications, and malware.
- Ethical hacking certification
- Basic understanding of VAPT, Binary Exploitation, packet shaper, load balancer, and intrusion detection/prevention protocols.
NOTE: The Indian companies generally ask the above-mentioned prerequisites for students seeking internship opportunities in the field of Cyber-Security.
If you are well-versed with all of the above, then it’s excellent, if not, you do not have to worry.
Even if you prove to them that you have an in-depth understanding of the topics you know, you have a chance to get selected.
Common Cybersecurity Interview questions
To ace any interview, it is crucial that you spend quality time for your pre-preparation. To know more about interview preparation, head over to – Ultimate Interview Preparation Guide – Tips, Tricks and More.
Now let’s move on to some of the basic questions asked by recruiters during the technical round for the Cyber Security Interview.
- What is SSL? Explain its working
- Explain about Windows OS
- What are the web exploitation and mitigation techniques?
- How to compare two numbers without using the IF statement?
- What are the different layers in the ISO OSI model?
- How SIEM tools work, and what are their benefits?
- How to block a port scanning?
- Explain the core principles of information security
- Explain the last program you wrote, its purpose, and how well did you achieve your goal?
- What is Cyber Forensics?
These are some of the fundamental questions that are generally asked by Top Tier MNC’s like E&Y, Tata Consultancy Services, Directi, and McAfee.
It would help if you are prepared to tackle these questions with confidence and a strategic answer.
Once they know that you have an in-depth understanding of these concepts, they will move on to personalized questions based on your previous experience, live projects, and research work.
Therefore, make sure that you have a solid grasp on these topics and prepare well in advance.
Monitor your progress by keeping plenty of mock interviews. As this will boost your confidence and give you a simulated interview environment feel.
Must Read: Cybersecurity Basic Questions
Wrapping Up: How to crack an internship interview for Cybersecurity?
In conclusion, the field of Cyber Security has a lot of potential and scope worldwide.
With so many technological developments taking place daily, the need to strengthen our computer systems and the network has become vital. Especially, in India Cyber Security is one of the hottest career options that many people join in.
Therefore, if you are interested in this field and would like to get exposure about this industry, the best way to do it is through internships.