A lot of people want to learn Machine learning these days, but what are the best resources for learning it? There are thousands of online courses to choose from but many of them do not explain the crucial concepts and still charge high fees.
Therefore, here is the list of the best free Machine Learning courses that cover the principles of Machine Learning from the scratch and goes up to an advanced level.
- Machine Learning is a process in which machines are capable of detecting patterns and making decisions with minimal human intervention.
- Explore various free Machine Learning courses online that cover core concepts from the ground up.
- Machine Learning is used in technologies such as image recognition, speech recognition, self-driving cars, stock market trading and many more.
What is Machine Learning?
Machine Learning is a branch of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Computer Science which focuses on the use of data and algorithms to imitate the way that humans learn, gradually improving its accuracy.
Systems use the data to recognize patterns and make decisions with minimal human intervention.
One popular example of Machine Learning is image detection. When the systems are given a lot of information about a certain image, it starts to identify the details and patterns.
It can distinguish between a human and a car. It can identify facial expressions and a lot more. This technology enables many Apps like Snapchat filters, Phone’s Face ID. Self-driving cars like Tesla use this technology to identify things on the road.
Also Read: 10 Must-Read Machine Learning Blogs
Benefits of Machine Learning
The benefits of Machine Learning are countless. There are always some new innovations in the world around Machine learning. Following are few examples :
- Google’s Deep Learning Machine Learning program is accurate 89% of the time in detecting breast cancer. That’s much more effective compared to pathologists at 74%. (Google)
- The accuracy of the Azure Machine Learning framework in predicting stock market highs and lows is 62%. (Microsoft)
- The accuracy of Google AI’s Machine Learning algorithm in predicting a patients’ death is 95%. (Bloomberg)
These are just the tip of the iceberg. Machine Learning has way more implications and therefore the demand for the stream is on the rise.
Let’s talk about the growth of this industry lately and what we should expect.
The growth of the Machine learning Industry
Let us talk about numbers here. The Machine Learning market is expected to grow from USD 1.03 Billion in 2016 to USD 8.81 Billion by 2022, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 44.1% during the forecast period.
According to Google Trends, the search interest in the world of Machine learning has gone from 25 to 100 in 2020.
The demand for Machine Learning engineers is increasing exponentially. Many new and old companies are changing the way they operate, and hence Machine learning experts are in high demand. Choosing this career can be both interesting and lucrative.
Also Read: The Future of Machine Learning
Best Machine Learning Courses online
Following are the best free Machine Learning Courses online. Each course offers extensive coverage of all the essential topics. The pros of each course have been listed below so that you can carefully examine the best course that suits you.
1. Machine learning by Stanford University (Coursera)
Offered by Stanford, the Machine learning by Stanford University course has been created by Andrew Ng, Co-Founder of Coursera. This course has been attended by more than 4.3 million people and has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
This course provides a broad introduction to Machine Learning, data mining, and statistical pattern recognition.
The Topics included are Supervised Learning, Unsupervised Learning and best practices in Machine Learning.
The course is available for audit, making it free but you won’t be able to access the monthly assignment and certificate. You can also apply for financial aid to get access to assignments and certificates.
The duration of the course is 61 hours approximately and the course is available in multiple languages.
- Understand parametric and non-parametric algorithms, clustering, dimensionality reduction, among other important topics.
- Gain best practices and advice from the instructor.
- Real-world based case studies for Deep Learning.
- The flexible deadline allows you to learn at your convenience.
- Learn to apply learning algorithms to build smart robots, understand text, audio, database mining.
Machine learning crash course with TensorFlow APIs (Google)
Google has made a free online Machine Learning course available to anyone who is interested. The Machine learning crash course with TensorFlow APIs is a 15-hour fast-paced, hands-on introduction to Machine Learning.
Google’s free online Machine Learning crash course features a series of lessons with video lectures, real-world case studies, and hands-on practice exercises.
The course has 25 lessons and over 30 exercises. It offers interactive visualizations of algorithms and lectures from Google researchers.
No formal certificate or course credit is provided after completion of the course.
Following are the prerequisites for this course:
- You must be comfortable with variables, linear equations, graphs of functions, histograms, and statistical means.
- You should be a good programmer. You should have some experience in Python, although any programming knowledge will work.
- 25 lessons and 30+ exercises
- Lectures from Google researchers
- Real-world case studies
- Interactive visualizations of algorithms in action
Machine Learning with Python: from Linear Models to Deep Learning (Edx)
This free Machine Learning course by MIT University gives an in-depth introduction to the field of Machine Learning, from linear models to deep learning and reinforcement learning, through hands-on Python projects.
Machine Learning with Python: from Linear Models to Deep Learning is an advanced course on Machine Learning that covers the principle concepts of Machine Learning, such as Classification, Regression, Clustering, and Reinforcement Learning.
The duration of the course is 15 weeks at a pace of 10-12 hours per week. The course is free with the audit but can be upgraded to access assignments and certificates.
Prerequisites required for the free online course are :
- Proficiency in Python programming
- Probability theory course
- College-level single and multivariable calculus
- Vectors and matrices.
- Explore the various topics of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence and gain a strong understanding
- Learn through hands-on Python projects.
- Learn from world-class professors.
Machine learning with Python (Freecodecamp.org)
Machine learning with Python by Freecodecamp is a great free Machine Learning course online. It is a beginner-friendly course that covers all the principles concerning Machine Learning. The course offers hands-on experience, projects and certification after successfully completing the course.
This course contains an introduction to TensorFlow, neural networks and natural language processing. It has five Machine Learning Projects based on Python language.
The duration of this course is 300 hours and usually takes around 6 months to complete with a pace of 10 -12 hours per week.
- Hands-on experience with Machine Learning
- The beginner-friendly course covers the basics from the ground up.
- Certification after completing the course
- Active Freecampcode community help and guide you with tips and tricks on the online forum.
Machine Learning full course (Edureka’s Youtube Channel)
Machine Learning Full Course will help you understand and learn Machine Learning Algorithms in detail. This Machine Learning tutorial is ideal for both beginners as well as professionals who want to master Machine Learning Algorithms.
The course covers all the core topics from the ground up and goes up to the advanced level.
This course is available on YouTube and hence you can comment your doubts in the comment section and Edureka experts will help with that query.
The duration of the course is 9 hours.
- A beginner-friendly course that covers all the important concepts
- Advanced topics covered are Supervised Learning Algorithms, k Means Clustering & Association Rule Mining, Q-Learning and many more.
- Expert guidance in the comment section of the video.
All these free Machine Learning courses will help you start your career in this domain. All the above-listed courses, despite being free of cost, promise to cover the entire syllabus of the subject matters. Since Machine Learning is a vast topic, for some courses, prerequisites are required.
Every course is different from the other and offers something unique. Choose the best course for you after considering what the course offers and what outcomes are you looking for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does AI require coding?
Yes, programming is required to understand and develop solutions using Artificial Intelligence. AI-based algorithms are used to create solutions that can imitate a human closely. The top 5 languages that are helpful in the field of AI are Python, LISP, Prolog, C++, and Java.
How many days will it take to learn AI?
Learning AI is never-ending but to learn and implement intermediate computer vision and NLP applications like Face recognition and Chatbot take 5-6 months. First, get familiar with the TensorFlow framework and then understand Artificial Neural Networks.
Is Python Machine Learning hard?
If you’re going to pursue Machine Learning, it’s a good idea to start with these key mathematical concepts and move on to the coding aspects from there. Many of the languages associated with Artificial Intelligence such as Python are considered relatively easy.
How can I learn Machine Learning for free?
The best free course to learn Machine Learning are as follows:
Machine Learning by Stanford University
Machine learning crash course by Google
Machine Learning with Python on Freecodecamp.org
Machine Learning with Python: From Linear Models to Deep Learning on Edx
Machine Learning full course by Edureka