Introduction to Psychology
Psychology is the study of the mind and human behaviour. It is all about how people will think around you & what kind of feeling they experience.
By taking a degree in Psychology, the psychologist basically deals with the behaviour of humans by observing their way of thinking. After seeing human’s thinking patterns they will generate positive change if required.
Now, you must be thinking you got a touch of the subject, right?
But this is otherwise.
Read this blog carefully, to get in-depth analysis.
For instance, in the course of studying Psychology that you can be a therapist. Psychology is the summary of the person’s characteristics including how they think feel or behave.
A small example – psychological behaviour of teenagers.
Importance of Psychology
1) Basically thinking from a different person’s point of view.
2) Examining the influences of social and cultural environments on a person’s behaviour i.e research on people cultures.
3) Managing and treating anxiety.
4) Motivation is the act to behave in a way to satisfy certain desires/goals.
5) Self-esteem is a precious psychological resource and a positive factor in life.
6) Self-awareness is one of the first components of self-concepts to emerge.
7) Critical thinking is how you decide on things in a very calm sense.
8) Discovering the unexplored part of a person is always intriguing.
9) Every decision-making process produces a final choice, which may or may not be prompt action.
10) Orator who will always be known for speaking skills.
Top 10 Benefits of Psychology
1. Change in Perception
Change in perception can happen only when one knows how to place oneself into multiple points of view and value those opinions the same way you consider yours.
This type of thinking process can only be achieved with a detailed study of emotions and feelings.
For example- Your friend is in a difficult situation and not able to express his feelings. But, you are a person who knows this skill, understands his situation and think how you would solve the issue and help him solve it.
2. Better Understanding of Socio-Culture Attitude
A person’s societal beliefs influence this attitude. Let’s take an instance – gambling – Here person’s attitude can shift over time.
So let’s say society will accept gambling positively. It will be normal and people start to gamble every day.
When there is excessive gambling and society repeatedly shows disapproval and this leads to socio-cultural attitude.
Some of the other factors are political orientation and demographics.
Social Class refers to social and economic status.
After gaining a basic understanding of social psychology, one can learn about conformity, discrimination, stereotypes, and prejudice.
3. Teaches how to manage Anxiety
We all have faced anxiety in some way or the other. Psychology helps to tackle anxiety in relevant ways as it is the important part of benefits of Psychology
To manage your anxiety here are some of the strategies:
- Meditation every day for 10 minutes.
- Plan your day and expect the unexpected.
- Think Positive i.e train your body and mind.
- Learn to manage your triggers.
4. Keeps your Motivation at the peak
Staying motivated is key that helps us to keep on going forward in life. Motivation is an inner sense to move forward with strong confidence.
Knowledge about specific or vivid topics keeps you motivated for every moment of life.
The truth on getting motivated is harder than simply getting fired up. especially when goals are unclear/difficult to achieve
Here are the top 9 ways to keep yourself motivated
- Follow your own set of goals.
- When you feel it is challenging, think you can do it.
- Engage in what you like the best.
- Surround yourself with people who are enthusiastic
- Focus on whatever you do
- Never dream realistic
- Whenever you are making a decision, try to do something that will soothe your mind to make relevant decisions
- Create checklist
- Give yourself frequent breaks
5. Build self-esteem
Exploring oneself is a step closer to understanding your weak points. And once you figure out those weaknesses, it’s easy to build up the qualities you think you lack in.
These are some skills you will like to build on before heading towards a better life:
1) Be nice to yourself
Put some effort to be kind to yourself. Want to develop yourself try to speak yourself the same you speak with your friends.
This is really hard in beginning, but the practice makes you a sound person.
2) Focus on what you can change
Stop comparing yourself with others and think you are unique. Try to focus on your goals and achievements and this will improve Psychological skills.
3) Celebrate every small or big success
let me give an instance – you got up in the morning and you prepared breakfast with perfect taste, congratulate yourself. This feels you better and builds confidence.
4) Do what makes you happy
Whenever you perform an activity enjoy it to be positive. Always schedule time for yourself whether it’s for reading, cooking or playing.
Remember to make time for yourself always.
5) Always remember that everyone makes mistakes.
I hope you remember when you are a baby – trying to walk but feeling very often. But later, after a few months, you start walking with great confidence.
Falling is only to learn and grow, “Always think it’s normal.”
6. Helps to build Self-Awareness
Self-awareness includes one’s own nature, behaviour, and traits. This benefit is called personality development. One’s personality is validated by their thought process.
Most people are unaware of their own thought processes. While learning psychology you will be experiencing your own thoughts that are inside you.
According to Harvard University, the steps to create self-awareness are as follows
- Meditate every day – Concentrate on your thoughts – Meditation is a practice of improving your moment of awareness.
- Write down your plan on a day-to-day basis – One of the best ways to increase self-awareness is to write down what you want to do and track your progress.
- Get regular feedback – One can never fully lead effectively. It’s only with a self-awareness that one can journey closer to a state of self-balance.
7. Improves Critical thinking
Do not accept the arguments and conclusions of other people and try to improvise your thoughts of judgement each and every time.
One of the best ways to increase self-awareness is to write down what you want to do and track your progress. You think in-depth about the problem and give a solution to it.
Critical thinking can be divided into 3 Main Core skills
1) Curiosity – it is the desire to learn more and investigate evidence as well as being open to all types of ideas.
2) Scepticism – Not believing in each every concept any tells, you got to question to know better.
3) Humility – Accept your mistakes and opinions when faced with new evidence/truth.
In-depth you will have a detailed view of critical thinking in psychology.
8. Enhances your Observational skills
A Psychology student will be taught to observe and to unravel the personalities of other people. Discovering the unexplored part of a person is always intriguing.
But sometimes if the person is having anti-social tendencies, we will pay the price of being a victim.
In Psychology, you will look at two main things: Danger and Comfort. For this let me give you an example
In the night you’re walking towards your car and see a person standing in the corner of your car with a rod.
You feel that discomfort and your brain says ‘warning-possible danger.’ So you get alerted.
Your limbic brain will ask you to find a comfortable place or to inform the police of the situation to be proactive.
This is only a glimpse of being a good observer.
Psychology courses will provide a number of experiments that will help you determine the personality of the person.
9. Modifies Decision-Making Skills
It is a cognitive process resulting in the selection of a belief or course of action which is influenced by biases, reasons, emotions and memories.
Every decision-making process produces a final choice, which may or may not be prompt action.
Make sure you make consistent excellent choices, including gathering as much as possible relevant information while considering all the alternatives, as well as their benefits and costs.
After this, you might be thinking that you’ve made the right decision or not.
In life, there are no ‘right’ decisions. When surrounded by many options, it’s easy to feel less satisfied with your decision. You may even blame yourself for many choices.
The key is to find ways to simplify your decision and not worry about other choices.
10. Engaging Orator
An engaging orator who will always be known for speaking skills. You might have observed oratory skills are very much required for both personal and professional life.
A good orator is one who can showcase good leadership skills and guide people to the future.
This oratory skill should be taught to kids to shine among their peers and excel in their academics.
All great public speakers like PM Narendra Modi, Ratan Tata, Steve Jobs use a combination of oratory skills.
The foremost skill among them is confidence, body language and the power of engaging with the audience.
These skills can be learnt in detail and experienced with great effort in Psychology.
Also Read: Scope Of Psychology In India And Abroad
These are some of the important benefits that should be implemented in everyday life to achieve great heights in Psychology as well as in life.
This importance and benefits which you learn in course of study help you to reveal the inner working of the brain to shocking experiments.
It is amazing and astonishing to learn about humans and their behaviour.
Want to know more about psychology and experiments on humans. Join our psychological course at Verzeo and be certified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is psychology a good career?
Psychology is a vital field because of its drastic increasing focus on mental health and wellbeing.
The scope for psychologists is huge.
Is Psychology hard to study?
It’s basically your mindset, think it is easy and understand the human behaviour and mindset to master in psychology.
Who is the father of psychology?
Wilhelm Wundt is the man most commonly identified as the father of psychology.
Requesting you to visit this website to have an overview of early psychology.
What are the disadvantages of psychology?
Some of the disadvantages are as follows: Extensive Education and training, Emotional Strain, Job will be on weekends and evening.