With every passing year, a new batch of students are passing out of college looking for jobs. This only means that the competition will rise. The only way for you to stand out from this crowd is to have good Internship resume points. There are countless benefits of internship for one’s career.
Importance of internship is increasing day by day. An Internship for students not only means a good resume point, but it also helps you in deciding your future and making a sound decision.
With the Covid pandemic situation it has become hard for companies to provide internships. But for some companies it is possible to provide an online internship. As such, right now is the best opportunity to upskill yourself from the comfort of your home.
The impact of internship on students is quite significant. Let’s also see how it is for companies. There are various benefits for starting an internship program for your company like future employees, increase visibility, increase productivity, etc.
- Why is Internship important? – for the basic reason of getting out of your comfort zone and getting hands-on experience.
- Ways to apply for an Internship – Campus placement, Off campus reaching out to companies individually.
- The basic things to be followed during Internship tenure. Company policy, dress code, conduct, being punctual, etc.
- Internship has a huge impact on one’s career and such a recommended thing to do.
What is an Internship?
So let’s see what is internship program. Internship is a work experience provided by established organizations to a person. From the person’s perspective, this is a good opportunity to get hands-on experience.
Internships for students in college is mostly mandatory. It is an opportunity to apply their theoretical knowledge in practice. With excellent or exceptional work in the internship period, it might even lead to full-time job placement. Internship has a tremendous impact on a students career.
Many students dream to get an internship in Google, Microsoft or for a matter of fact any similar highly reputed companies.
The importance of internship will just keep growing. It’s usually recommended to do an internship in the field of your interest. So that you can either try to get a full-time job offer or use this experience to get an offer from similar companies.
People can look for internships from campus placement or off-campus methods. For campus internships that are probably in the term or year break, the internship period is usually one to two months, while for off-campus, it varies.
Some good fields to do an internship are:
- Computer Science – Computer Science is one of the most opted courses in India. Internship computer science resume point will help a lot in computer jobs.
- Cybersecurity – Cybersecurity is one of the best domains to pursue a career in if your interest is in cybercrimes and IT.
Why is internship important
After knowing what is internships it is essential to know “why is an internship important.”
Internships are the first step to getting an actual job. It is a great opportunity for many to experience a real job before they get full-time placement. With the role you get into, you can make clear decisions of whether you are cut out for the job or not.
Based on your performance, either you can decide to go in the same field in the future or change fields. Another benefit is the chance of getting to work under experts and gain as much guidance as possible. And it is true that working under professionals and gaining practical knowledge is far better than other methods.
Everyone makes mistakes at some point in time while working. Since you would have just joined the company, no big tasks would be given to you. The companies won’t want to hurt their image.
But of course, you can request to work under someone and see how they are working to gain a sense of main jobs, which with enough trust in your abilities the company might provide the same work to you in future.
The most important thing about an internship is that this will help you understand which fields you are interested in. There are many fields for doing an internship in, like Computer science, Cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence, etc. Computer Science is one of the most opted courses in India and availing internships in Computer Science is one of the best ways to kickstart your career in this domain
To get an internship like any other field you will have to clear interviews. Do be prepared with “How To Ace Common But Tricky Interview Questions.” An internship has quite an impact on one’s career, so let’s learn some more about it.
All about internship
How to apply for internship
Now let’s have a look at how to get an internship.
First and the best way to get an internship from a reputed company is through campus placements. Since colleges will verify the company before letting their students apply for it. You can be sure that the company will be reliable.
Second is to go out of your normal ways and reach out to companies yourself. Companies also post opportunities on social media platforms and recruitment portals. The best thing is, if you search online, you can apply filters and search for role-specific jobs in hundreds and thousands for such opportunities.
Paid, Unpaid, Time and Target
Like said above, internships might be for one month, two months, or entirely dependent on the organization providing them. Now, this internship can be paid or unpaid, depending on the decision taken by the organization. This is not in your hand, and all you can do is take the offer or reject it.
The paid internship will only provide you with basic amenities like stipend and staying quarters, if at all. They won’t be providing health benefits or amenities that are given to a full-time employee.
In Unpaid internships, it is similar to paid with the exception of any stipend. These are meant solely for the purpose of learning and gaining experience.
Regular work timings are around nine hours a day with one day in week reserved as a holiday. The week off day will most probably depend on the company. For example, for a salesperson, holidays are the most productive time of the week.
So, the employees may actually work overtime on Sundays and take a week off on any of the weekdays. Also, while working, it might be a good idea to know your monthly target so that you add some value to the company.
Do’s and Don’ts during the Internship
To make the most out of internship opportunities, some do’s and don’ts during Internship to be followed. Regardless of where you are in your internship decision, you want to know how to make the most of the experience and be job-ready.
- Don’t be one of the guys who just come to work, complete the task and go home. Be active, mix in groups and make your presence felt. This may not increase your monetary value, but connections play a crucial role in the long term.
- Ask questions whenever you have any doubts, don’t think it might be a stupid question, and stay silent. You are there to learn.
- Follow proper conduct codes in the workplace. Like dress code, be punctual, be polite to colleagues, etc.
- Give at least 12 hours early notice for any leaves or requests so that the person-in-charge has sufficient time to approve it.
- Don’t be persistent on only your way of working. You are there to learn from the industry experts and therefore respect their decisions.
- Lastly, don’t be a know-it-all. People hate these types of people. Be respectful of others opinions.
How to make the most of an internship – Advice
This opportunity is quite valuable and it will depend on you to make the most out of an internship.
- During the working period, if things are not working out, still complete the internship. You are there to learn, and these failures will help you make better decisions in the future.
- With the Covid pandemic and all, many companies are providing online internships, so it is the right time to do some internships right from the comfort of your home.
- If campus internship opportunities are not there, it might be a good idea to start searching on your own.
- Even if interviews are a barrier to getting selected, the first barrier is having a “Good Resume.” Do some online courses to upskill yourselves and have the edge over the others.
- Mock interviews will help a lot in preparation.
- Increase networking so that you can have more options of referral possible
- Ask questions to your mentor, don’t just complete a task and relax.
Impact of internship on students is huge.
Doing an internship will boost your confidence. One of the main objectives of internship is to get actual experience and become industry ready. With an ever-growing population, competitors for a single position are many. So to stand out from the big crowd, it is essential to have some unique qualities, and internships are that.
With the Covid pandemic situation many companies have turned to providing – work from home internship option. It is the right time to benefit from such opportunities.
Impact of internship on career is quite evident and these kinds of opportunities are a great source of gaining experience. And even if you are assigned a role in one department, try to complete the task early and take on more roles. This way, you will be able to expand your scope of possibilities for a career in the future.
With doing an outstanding job, there is also a possibility of getting recommendation proof from the company. This will further help while searching for jobs in the future. All in all, doing an internship will only have positive effects and therefore is highly recommended to students.
Good luck for your future ventures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Best time for an internship.
With Covid pandemic scenario, companies are providing online internships, and thus the best time to do an internship is now.
What is an intern certificate?
Certificates are given at the end of the internship period by the company as proof of completion of the internship.
How do you apply for an internship?
LinkedIn, Job recruitment portals, Naukri.com, are some online ways to apply for an internship. You can always reach out to the company or its staff to know about their offline recruitment process.
Why is internship important for students?
Internships are essential because they help students gain the experience of actual work environment. It will help them in making a logical and correct decision for their final placements.
What are the benefits of internship?
Some of the benefits are increase networks, building a foundation in industry before actually stepping into it(full time job), hands-on experience and good resume points.